Benchmark Journals is domiciled in the Department of Vocational Education, University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria. The Department of Vocational Education is a foundation department to the University which had existed during the College of Education era of 1981. By then it was the Economics Business Education Department. When the College of Education transformed into the defunct University of Cross River State in 1983, the department was restructured by Dr. (Mrs.) Victoria C. J. Akpan under the headship of late Prof. Edidiong Ekpoudom and Deanship of late Dr. B. Umoh. The Department is currently headed by Professor Enoidem B. Usoro
The restructuring resulted in the renaming of the department as Vocational Education. The department currently has five (5) distinct units, namely:
- Agricultural Education
- Business Education
- Computer Education
- Home Economics Education
- Technical Education
GENERAL PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE
DEPARTMENT OF VOCATIONAL EDUCATION, UNIVERSITY OF UYO, UYO, NIGERIA
The philosophy of the Department of Vocational Education stems from the premise that human beings have all the potentials that could be developed for wealth creation through organized and directed application of relevant knowledge and skills to desired and chosen occupations. It is therefore the philosophy of the department to develop and mount relevant vocational technical programmes for students directed towards developing their individual potentials through organized exposure to programmed experiences that will enable them acquire knowledge and skills for survival in the dynamic world of work.
The Department is a composite one mounting courses in Agricultural Education, Business Education, Technical Education, Home Economics Education, Textile Technology Education and therefore the following general objectives shall apply:
- To increase the technical knowledge and skills of the students so that they can function effectively in their respective areas of specialization.
- To equip students with professional competencies so that they may assume leadership roles for training and supervision in schools and industries.
- To increase the technical knowledge and skills of the students so that they can keep abreast with technological development.
- To develop research skills in the students so that they can apply such skills in the solution of vocational technical education problems.
- To create and add value to our clients
- To provide professional advice, solutions and processes to our clients, every time, on time and within budget.
- To create an environment that fosters strategic thinking and creativity. An environment, where creative and executive personnel can work together.